To play digital music and movies you need to have the correct codecs on your device. Examples include DivX video files and FLAC audio files. Windows Media Player does not play all codecs, fortunately, there is a free software that can play almost all codecs. When you experience problems with playing videos on your computer, we advise you to try VLC Media Player.
VLC media player is a free and open source media player that supports a lot of codecs. You can, therefore, play almost all audio and video files without any problems and you’ll never have to visit all kinds of obscure sites to search for a missing codec. It is a multiplatform program so it can be installed on all major operating systems. There is also a version of VLC available for the iPad, iPhone, and Android. It is even possible to operate VLC on your computer remotely via an app on the iPhone or an Android device.
The iOS VLC app supports Airplay and playback from a Dropbox account. After an absence of two years, the VLC app is since July 2013 available for download from the App Store. Earlier it was withdrawn because of conflicts over licenses. The new app is redesigned from scratch. Since July 2012, there is also a beta version available for Android.
VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players worldwide and downloaded as many as more than 1 billion times. If you are looking for a simple program as well as play all media files without problems then we recommend that you try VLC. This program can immediately handle all common codecs and file formats, and has a very minimalistic user interface.
This free media player supports most subtitle files. With such a separate subtitle file, you can synchronously view subtitles in different languages. Since September 2013, VLC even supports playback of 4K movie files. 4K is a term for displays that can display 4000 pixels horizontally. This extremely high resolution is the latest trend in the field of television.
VLC Mobiles apps
Since June 2014, the VLC mobile apps for iOS and Android and desktop applications for Windows, Mac, and Linux also support streaming video to Chromecast. Chromecast is a stick from Google that connects to the television and then allows streaming video from another device to the TV. VLC Media Player does exactly what it should do without any form of visual distraction for you as a user. We, therefore, recommend that anyone looking for a simple solution for playing all the music and movie files to first install the program.
VLC Media Player has the following options:
- free media player
- open source license
- iOS and Android apps and desktop programs support Chromecast
- possible to play damaged or incomplete files
- supports virtually all popular codecs so it plays music and movies without problems
- can also play streaming audio and video
- Channels.com integration with search function for online video
- available for the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Syllable, BeOS, MorphOS, BSD, Solaris and Sharp Zaurus
- also available as a portable version that you can open directly from a USB stick or CD / DVD disc
- available in several languages
Download and Install VLC Media Player on Windows
To download and install VLC Media Player on your computer, please follow the instructions below:
- First open the official website and download the software on your computer: www.videolan.org.
- Click the orange “Download VLC” button to start the download. Choose “Other Systems” if you’re not on Windows.
- Double-click the downloaded file to start the installation. The file is probably in your Downloads folder.Now choose the language in which you wish to install VLC.
- Now choose the language in which you wish to install VLC.
- Now click “Next” to continue.
- Click “Next” to agree with the license terms.
- Again click “Next” to continue. You could change some settings here if you like, but we like to keep it as it is.
- Choose the location where you wish to install VLC. You can keep it as it is and click on “Install” to start the installation.
- VLC is now being installed on your computer. Wait a few seconds till it’s finished.
- That’s it! VLC is now installed on your computer.
- Click the “Finish” button to finish the installation.