For storing and sharing of files, many people still use email while it actually is not appropriate and certainly not when large files are shared. Dropbox is a service that allows storing files online and can also be used to synchronize files between different computers and mobile devices. In addition, (large) files are exchanged with other users of this service.
Store Files Online with Dropbox
Dropbox is a service that allows files to be stored online, which are then automatically synchronized between different computers and mobile devices.
The Dropbox desktop application is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. There are also mobile applications available for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPad, and Windows Phone.
See also: Dropbox login guide
You can specify the folders to be shared through Dropbox. All files that are placed in such a folder will be synced automatically. You can also invite other people to also gain access to these files. It is also possible to send a link to a specific file in a folder that you want to share. This makes the service ideal for project teams.
Dropbox Basic is the free version of this program that allows storing and sharing files up to 2GB. For higher storage space, a paid subscription can be purchased.
Dropbox has the following features:
- synchronize your files between multiple devices
- share files with others by sending an invitation
- online backup
- mobile applications available for iPhone, iPad, and Android
- desktop applications available for Linux, Mac, and Windows
- online access to files via the website
Sharing Files and Folders
Since the introduction of Dropbox Links, sharing files via Dropbox is even easier. Sharing of a file can be done in the following way:
- Go to the Dropbox folder on your computer
- Right-click on the file you want to share and select Dropbox> Get Link …
- The link to your file is now on your clipboard.
- Press paste (CTRL + V) to put the link, for example in an e-mail.
Tip: Getting a link can also be done via dropbox.com or via the Dropbox app.
Share entire folder
In addition to sharing files, it is also possible to share an entire folder. By sharing a Dropbox folder, it is possible to work on a project together with others without always having to email the files. The sharing of a folder can be done in the following way:
- Go through explorer to the Dropbox folder
- Right-click on the folder and select Dropbox> Share this folder …
- Now open in the browser the Dropbox website
- Enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the folder with, it is also possible to add a message here.
- The folder is now shared.
TIP: By sharing folders, you can earn extra space in your Dropbox account. For anyone with whom you share the Dropbox folder that is not on Dropbox yet, you get 500MB extra disk space if that person signs up. This allows you to get free additional disk space up to 16GB.